Saturday, December 19, 2009

Beautiful Decorations in Places of Sadness


Standing beside the red poinsettia "tree" and looking up at it's two story height is breathtaking. Every year since I came to Michigan I have walked beside this beautiful
decoration found in this place of sadness. You see, it is located in the lobby of a hospital in Grand Blanc. As I took a picture of it this morning, two ladies' commented to me on its' exceptional presence each Christmas. Whether you stand on the ground floor and look up or look down from four floors up, it seems to beckon a second glance.

It's presence doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of sick folks in rooms that surround it. Most (if not all) people that are lying in the beds here don't really want to be there. Some will soon breathe their last breath. That is why I was at the hospital today. The caregiver spoke of comforts given to those who are at the "end of life". As I walked away from the room trying to absorb the words I had just heard, sometimes this place has a heaviness that is more than I can carry.


It was Isaiah who wrote "The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field: The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass. The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever." (Isaiah 40:6-8)

These beautiful flowers that God created for us to enjoy will fade, much like our lives. We have so much to enjoy in our short time and we should make the most of it. But we must keep it in the perspective of the temporary verses the eternal.


No comments:

Post a Comment