Saturday, January 23, 2010

Twenty-One Gun Salute


Louie was 93. Fought in the Big War. As I looked at the memorial display of a newspaper clipping from June 4, 1944, it all seems so long ago. There was an article by General Eisenhower sending a message to the soldiers to "accept nothing less than complete victory". Our nation has certainly come a long way since that day. I think of all the lives that have been affected because of that great leadership. Freedom has cost a great deal.. for those who died and for those who lived through it.

Then I think of another war. It is the war of God for the soul. At today's memorial there were stories told of children who were picked up on a bus and brought to church. Of a Christian mother and of a dad who came to know Christ as a result and then lived out the remainder of his days in a different war... reaching people with the life-changing Gospel of Christ.

Today we said goodbye to that soldier. From a grateful nation and a grateful church, it has been a privilege to have known such a man. My prayer is that we will see more soldiers get involved in this long war for God. I hope I can say when this time comes "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment