Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Our First Hurricane (in Houston)

 Every place we have lived has it's unique challenges. From Altus, Oklahoma's tornados, Sweetwater, Texas rattlesnakes to Flint, Michigan's water. Preparing here for a hurricane meant talking to neighbors and family about negotiating power outages and which streets flood. We were directed to the "no hype" weather site of Eric Berger: "Space City Weather". 


Discovering there are 5 stages of flood warnings, we were told this was a stage 2 flood warning and the hurricane developed into a category 1. The different computer models were displayed and the inches of rain predicted. Gas tanks filled, refrigerator and pantry stocked and flashlights located. The warnings are now past and our first hurricane here has moved on.

My thoughts after a day and night of wind and rain reflects on the many storms our lives have been through. This is not the first, or the last. Nor was it the worst (although past experiences cause a heighted awareness of how bad it could be). 

SHELTER

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust" -Psalm 91:1,2

SECURITY

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” ― Corrie ten Boom

SAFETY 


"The cause of this safety is God. And note it is “only” God Who can give such safety. Man cannot provide this sort of safety. They may provide safety but it is not as trustworthy as what God provides and therefore not as good in quality as God gives." -John Butler

SERENITY

The unknown song writer said:

 Closer yet, O Lord, my Rock, Refuge of my soul;

 Dread I not the tempest shock, Tho’ the billows roll.

 Wildest storm cannot alarm, For, to me, can come no harm,

 Leaning on Thy loving arm; Closer, Lord, to Thee


Joy and peace are mine; Let me in Thy love abide,

Keep me ever near Thy side, In the “Rock of Ages” hide,

Closer, Lord, to Thee

No comments:

Post a Comment