Friday, February 10, 2023

First Date Surprise


 My roommate Paul Gabriel and I decided to go on a double date. I first spotted Vicki at a volleyball activity that we had at Seminole Baptist Temple. 

  Busloads of students from BBC (Baptist Bible College) would go to the parking lot at the church were they set up several nets for us to play volleyball. I was just learning to spike the volleyball and Vicki was across from me and had seen me hit the ball hard and asked me not to hit her. On the next serve someone set me up and I forgot. I hit her in the face with the volleyball and knocked her down. I turned to my roommate Paul and said "I want to take her out on a date." Needless to say that wasn't what she was thinking about me at the time.   


It was our intention to make a big impression since it was our first date. We had four coupons for free steak dinners at Sirloin Stockade. I asked Vicki and Paul asked one of her friends on a Sunday evening after church in September (12) 1976. I was glad she said yes. When we arrived at the restaurant, to our surprise, it was closed on Sundays! The big problem was that neither Paul nor I had any money. So we decided to go to the new Battlefield mall McDonald's and Vicki had to pay. We really had a great time for about 2 hours just talking about our lives and about the Bible. It was a memorable date.

She's been paying ever since :)

No comments:

Post a Comment