Thursday, January 17, 2019

An "Open Book" Life

The Burton library had a sign once that said "Don't judge a book by it's movie". When I read it seems as though I can hear the author talk without the distraction of video and sound effects. 

I am thankful for good books and, as strange as it might sound, have even considered my library "my friends".


One of our men at church told me of Ed Dobson's book that he wrote in his eleventh year of ALS entitled "Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart". So I read it last night. All of it. Couldn't put it down.


When I heard him at Thomas Road almost four decades ago, I never dreamed we would have anything in common, much less this. Don't misunderstand me, I have never achieved the level of influence that he had including  Bob Jones III, Phil Donahue,  Jerry Falwell, and James Dobson. His determination for continuing ministry (including the book) and practical insights about prayer, forgiveness, healing and important relationships kept me engaged all evening as it seemed that he was sitting in the room talking with me. It was a good reminder of what is really important in our lives: caring about others and enjoying the life God has given to us each day. He wrote concerning future plans: 

"I try to live every day to the fullest and enjoy it. But in the back of my mind, I am still worried about what’s to come. It is like my shadow; it always follows me around. Even in the brightest of days, it’s always there. So what about the future?
I have set three goals for myself for my future.
First, I want to speak for as long as I can.
Second, when I can no longer speak, I want to write as long as I can.
Third, when I can no longer speak or write, I want to live as long as I can. That’s it. Those are my goals."
Thanks Ed. Thanks Toby. God is good.

3 comments:

  1. What a good word David and a great perspective! I am thankful for your relationship with the Lord and the realization that each moment counts for more than the here and now. Thanks to good parents that taught us the reality of Jesus from day one and the eternal point of view. Love you David and I’m proud Of yoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor, another thing you have in common with Ed Dobson is that you're a good communicator. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with all of us. I am praying for you daily. I know you are walking glued to Jesus. May you know that he is close to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing❤ God will help you each step of the way. Your congregation Loves you and Vicky. Anything I can do to help don't hesitate to ask me.πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

    ReplyDelete