Friday, June 21, 2019

Blest With The Best!


One great thing forty years in ministering to people has exposed me to is the many, MANY health care professionals that help people deal with sickness and disease on a daily basis. I have been blessed beyond measure to walk with many through those storm tossed waters. 

A good attitude and a good sense of humor goes a long way on both sides of the equation.



One evening in September nearly eight years ago, I got a call to come to the ER at Genesys where a dear, sweet Lady in our congregation was at death’s door. They whisk us out of the room as their amazing team literally saved her life that night. Over the next week, I met people who worked in many disciplines, including palliative care (which I had to google), cancer doctors, surgeons, and many that I do not even know what they were doing other than obviously helping her.

Over the next three years, she was up and down in her strength as she went through chemo, rehab centers, possible food poison and one of her doctors was even arrested for Medicare fraud. Finally, stage 5 cancer took over meaning no more chemo and hospice was set up.

As she was in the hospital for the last time on that cold February day, she said something to Vicki and I that she had said over and over throughout her ordeal –

“They always send the BEST people to help me”.

Just 14 days later, she went home to be with the Lord, but her words, laughter and attitude have made such a lasting impression on my life.


As I have begun my journey facing many health uncertainties, I have already been blessed with the BEST that God has brought into my life because of this disease. I had my three month checkup and evaluation this week at University of Michigan ALS clinic and I took a few pictures to share and  I want to thank God for them! I was even able to share my faith with the nurse that drained seventeen vials of my blood that it would really be great if they found the key to the mystery of this illness from my Texas blood!

As they seemed encouraged by my continued physical strength, I too feel a renewed sense of vigor, not only for today, but for new opportunities to celebrate my life and faith in Christ in the months and years to come… as each day we are given grace and “In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began…” (Titus 1:2)

It is overwhelming to me that so many people send notes to tell me they are praying for me continually. We must constantly be aware of the love and care of people around us.I have truly seen God work in my life this year in ways that I can only say “God is good to me”, and when you put your trust in Him, He can do things in and through your life in a purposeful way that when this life is through, He even has something better in store for us that will trust Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment