Rev. Gerald Cheney was born in Arkansas. He is one of a family of three boys, He attended the public schools in Lafayette County, and graduated from Bradley High School. At the time of his surrender to full time ministry, he was residing in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Upon accepting the call for Christian service, he enrolled at the Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri, where he was to take an active role in the class leadership and various projects.
In 1958, he graduated from Baptist Bible College with a Th.G Degree, and resigned the pastorate of the Calvary Baptist Church of Nixa, Missouri to accept the position of Youth Director at Jacksonville Baptist Temple in Jacksonville, Florida. After a fruitful ministry in this capacity, in June of 1959, Pastor Gerald Cheney left Beaver Street Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida, with little money in his pocket but with a huge burden on his heart. He believed that God had called him to establish an independent, Bible-believing, Baptist church in Tampa, the West Gate Baptist Church, where he ministered for over eight years.
In 1966, he became pastor of the Grace Bible Baptist Church (Great Lakes Baptist Temple), Flint, Michigan, and was been actively engaged in the work of the church and the Baptist Bible Fellowship International, for in addition to serving as pastor of the church, he also served as a Director of the Baptist Bible Fellowship. His ministry at Great Lakes included building the facilities on Maple and Saginaw in 1974 and he continued to serve as pastor until February of 1976. He and Judy were able to return for the building re-dedication in November 2011. We will always remember our contact with him and his love for our Lord Jesus Christ.